What do I do if I get injured at work?

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2019 | Workers' Compensation |

When you get hurt at your job, it is important to seek workers’ compensation benefits. The North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act lays out all the details regarding requirements, time limits, coverage, benefits and resolving disputes.

According to the law, you have 30 days from your injury to inform your employer about it. The notice must be in writing. After notifying your employer, you have two years to file your claim. However, it is often best to report your injury and file a claim long before the deadlines.

Next, you should seek health care from an employer-designated provider, if applicable. If you want to visit another provider, you need to file a petition with the North Carolina Industrial Commission. Under the act, a health care provider may include a physician, pharmacy, hospital, nurse, chiropractor, dentist, physical therapist, podiatrist, psychologist or rehabilitation specialist. Make sure your health care provider knows your condition is related to a workplace accident.

In the event that your employer’s insurance provider denies your claim, you have the right to request a hearing. This hearing gives you an opportunity to present evidence to support your claim and get another chance at securing benefits.

If your employer does not carry workers’ compensation coverage and is required to by law, you have the right to report the lack of insurance to the Fraud Section of the NCIC. Similarly, if your employer refuses or fails to report your injury, you have the right to file a claim with the NCIC within two years of the injury.

This is general information about workers’ compensation in North Carolina and does not constitute legal advice.